There have been 8 species of hummingbirds reported in Illinois.
Six sightings have been officially confirmed by the Illinois Ornithological Society.
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) Regular/ Breeding
- Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) Casual
- Green Violetear Hummingbird (Colibri thalassinus) Accidental
- Anna’s Hummingbird (Calypte anna) Accidental
- Allen’s Hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) Accidental
- Broad-billed Hummingbird (Cynanthus latirostris) Accidental
99 percent of all hummingbird sightings in Illinois are of Ruby-throated hummingbirds. The next most common hummingbird is Rufous.
Other species of hummingbirds have been reported in Illinois within the last few years. As a number of hummingbirds are expanding their range we may see an increase of hummingbird species officially confirmed in Illinois. Unconfirmed hummingbird sightings in Illinois.
- Black-Chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) 2013 Peoria, IL, 2013 Oswego, IL
- Magnificent Hummingbird (Eugenes fulgens) 2013 Downers Grove, IL
Hummingbirds found in neighboring states
Predicting which hummingbird species may be next to come to Illinois we can look to our neighboring states for clues. Species found in our neighboring states.
- White-Eared Hummingbird (Basilinna leucotis) (Michigan)
- Calliope Hummingbird (Stellula calliope) (Indiana) (Missouri)
- Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) (Missouri)
If you think you’ve found a species of hummingbird other than Ruby-throated please contact us.